Tuesday night comedy open thread
What did everybody think of last night's Thanksgiving and non-Thanksgiving episodes?
For a variety of weird reasons, I didn't get to see any of last night's sitcoms in full, and due to the demands of a three-day work week, I'm not going to have time to get back to them today. So time to trot out something I used to do quite a bit in the early days of the old blog: an open thread. If you have specific thoughts on last night's comedies on FOX, ABC or NBC — whether it's something I regularly cover like "New Girl" or "Happy Endings," or something I've long since moved past like "The New Normal" — have at it. (I'm actually kind of curious about whether "New Normal" has gotten any better or fallen deeper into its own bad habits.) Did you like seeing Jamie Lee Curtis and Rob Reiner back in the sitcom world? Do you wish that "The Real World Sacramento" had actually happened? Did you find it amusing that, on the day it was announced that Anna Camp was stepping back from "The Mindy Project" regular to a recurring guest star, the show (from what I saw of it) finally remembered to give her something to do?
Additional housekeeping on Thanksgiving getaway day: I'll have a review of "Parenthood" (which I did see in full) coming later this morning, another post tonight around 9 Eastern (and maybe something sooner if there's breaking news, like another cancellation on a classic Take Out the Trash kind of day), another post on Friday morning, and then back Sunday with posts on my usual four Sunday dramas. Because only two of the four (the HBO shows) were available to me through yesterday, they may not all be full-length reviews, but it'll at least be an opportunity to discuss them.
Back on something resembling a full schedule next week. If you're about to head to the airport, happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the turkey coma.
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013
Firewall & Iceberg Podcast, episode 183: 'Behind the Candelabra,' 'The Goodwin Games,' 'Motive' & moreDan and Alan also review 'Save Me,' talk about 'SNL' departures and a wacky 'Mad Men'Monday, May 20, 2013
A police procedural that doesn't bother with whodunnit, but doesn't replace it with anything interestingMonday, May 20, 2013