This week in pop culture mash-ups: 'Breaking Bad' meets 'The Wire' & 'Downton Abbey'
Is it more fun to see 'Wire'-style credits, or Mr. Carson brewing illegal tea?
Pop culture mash-ups are fun. Pop culture mash-ups are easy to do. (Says the man who cooked up a "Mad Men"/"Watchmen" Tumblr in about five minutes back in the spring, then forgot it existed within days.) Doing a really great one, though, requires real creativity and attention to detail.
Two recent "Breaking Bad" -related mash-ups illustrate this. On last night's "Colbert Report," Stephen Colbert had fun with reports that Michelle Obama had requested DVDs of "Downton Abbey" season 3 so she wouldn't have to wait for the show's American premiere on January 6. As payback, he said, he recruited recent guest Vince Gilligan and "Downton" co-stars Hugh Bonneville, Jim Carter and Rob James-Collier to spoil the new season of "Breaking Bad" — or, rather, "Breaking Abbey" — for us.
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|Uncensored - Breaking Abbey|
It's a fun spoof, and what makes it work is how much it follows what we know about both shows: that Lord Grantham, even wearing the Heisenberg hat, would never deign to speak to a drug dealer unless he was formally introduced first by his butler. And at the same time, his aristocratic manner matches up very nicely with the haughty way Walter White has carried himself in recent seasons.
Meanwhile, earlier this week someone sent me a link to this a YouTube video attempting to refashion the "Breaking Bad" opening credits from each season to match the ones from the corresponding season of "The Wire."
It's cool not just because it ties together two all-time great dramas that dealt with the drug trade in very different ways, but because each sequence really does look like what "The Wire" would have used. There aren't many of the iconic "Breaking Bad" scenes and images, but more mundane pictures of the day-to-day of Walt and Jesse's business. And the use of the ice being smashed each season nicely matches how "The Wire" kept reusing that shot of Bodie throwing a rock at the security camera.
Nothing deep. Just amusing diversions on a Friday morning.
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013