This week in pop culture mash-ups: 'Breaking Bad' meets 'The Wire' & 'Downton Abbey'
Is it more fun to see 'Wire'-style credits, or Mr. Carson brewing illegal tea?
Pop culture mash-ups are fun. Pop culture mash-ups are easy to do. (Says the man who cooked up a "Mad Men"/"Watchmen" Tumblr in about five minutes back in the spring, then forgot it existed within days.) Doing a really great one, though, requires real creativity and attention to detail.
Two recent "Breaking Bad" -related mash-ups illustrate this. On last night's "Colbert Report," Stephen Colbert had fun with reports that Michelle Obama had requested DVDs of "Downton Abbey" season 3 so she wouldn't have to wait for the show's American premiere on January 6. As payback, he said, he recruited recent guest Vince Gilligan and "Downton" co-stars Hugh Bonneville, Jim Carter and Rob James-Collier to spoil the new season of "Breaking Bad" — or, rather, "Breaking Abbey" — for us.
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|Uncensored - Breaking Abbey|
It's a fun spoof, and what makes it work is how much it follows what we know about both shows: that Lord Grantham, even wearing the Heisenberg hat, would never deign to speak to a drug dealer unless he was formally introduced first by his butler. And at the same time, his aristocratic manner matches up very nicely with the haughty way Walter White has carried himself in recent seasons.
Meanwhile, earlier this week someone sent me a link to this a YouTube video attempting to refashion the "Breaking Bad" opening credits from each season to match the ones from the corresponding season of "The Wire."
It's cool not just because it ties together two all-time great dramas that dealt with the drug trade in very different ways, but because each sequence really does look like what "The Wire" would have used. There aren't many of the iconic "Breaking Bad" scenes and images, but more mundane pictures of the day-to-day of Walt and Jesse's business. And the use of the ice being smashed each season nicely matches how "The Wire" kept reusing that shot of Bodie throwing a rock at the security camera.
Nothing deep. Just amusing diversions on a Friday morning.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013