Series premiere review: 'Beauty and the Beast' - 'Pilot': Look away! I'm HIDEOUS!
What did everybody think of the new CW drama?
If "Beauty and the Beast" isn't the worst new show of the fall (and it probably is, and Fienberg definitely thinks it is), it's certainly the silliest. It's the kind of show that justifies every horrible stereotype and joke about Hollywood executives. Of course the CW would do a version of "Beauty and the Beast" (specifically, remaking the '80s Ron Perlman/Linda Hamilton CBS series) in which the "beast" is an incredible hunk who just happens to have a scar on his face. The CW's target demo doesn't want to watch ugly people. Duh.
The producers have tried to spin it as Jay Ryan being beastly in less superficial ways: He has a temper! He's damaged from his time in the military and this weird experiment! Lana Lang just can't resist him, even though he's bad for her! But it's all just goofy, Ryan is wooden, Kristin Kreuk is hilariously miscast as a tough New York cop, and after about five minutes of laughing at the absurdity of it all, I found "Beauty and the Beast" committing the worst TV sin of all: it was boring.
For those of you who watched tonight, what did you think? One and done, or time to set the DVR season pass?
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013