Season premiere review: 'The Office' - 'New Guys': YOLO
Dunder Mifflin says some hellos and goodbyes as the final season begins
"The Office" has begun its final season, and I have a review of the premiere coming up just as soon as I take a course at the Weintraub Memory Academy...
When Greg Daniels announced that this would be the last season, I wrote that if anyone had a chance to right the ship before the end, it was him. And though I skipped some episodes towards the end of last season, I feel enough nostalgia for the show as a whole that I expect to watch til the end (even if I'll only be writing about it on occasion).
On the comedic side of things, "New Guys" (which Daniels wrote and directed) unfortunately didn't give me a lot of hope for a last-minute resurgence. An Andy with more confidence is still Michael Scott 2.0 — even the Outward Bound running gag was reminiscent of how Michael was a boy who never really grew up — and all the slapstick involving Dwight and the tightrope, and then Dwight and his bicycle stunt, fell flat to me. Dwight falling down in and of itself isn't funny, even if he keeps doing it until he injures himself. Also, Kevin continues to act mentally disabled(*), and Oscar having an affair with Angela's husband is no funnier than when Angela was cuckolding Andy with Dwight.
(*) Although credit where it's due: Brian Baumgartner's delivery of "But you can't eat cats. You can't eat cats, Kevin," was enough to make me laugh despite myself.
But as the documentary filmmakers note — in what I believe is the first time we've ever heard one of them speak — at a certain point, this became Jim and Pam's story as much as it was about the paper company, if not more. And even though the show lost the thread on Jim and Pam around the time Cece was born, their scenes in the premiere, and the way the arrival of the new guys forces Jim to realize he's trapped in the job he despised back when he was that young, was interesting. This is a character arc I've been waiting for the show to remember to do for years now, and the scenes here were promising (if not incredibly funny).
What did everybody else think? Did you like the way that Kelly and Ryan were written out because of "The Mindy Project"? Did anyone come back specifically because it's the final season? Did you like Clark Duke and Jake Lacy as Dwight Jr. and New Jim?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013