'Saturday Night Live' spoofs 'Homeland' with Anne Hathaway
Was Hathaway's crazy Claire Danes impression spot-on, or too easy?
I haven't seen the rest of the Anne Hathaway episode of "Saturday Night Live" yet, but when I heard that she had played Claire Danes in a "Homeland" parody, I knew which sketch I was going to start with.
In Ryan McGee's review of the episode, he says that while it's a funny sketch (and I agree with him on the genius of Bill Hader as Saul), he didn't like that it oversimplified Carrie Mathison, one of the most complex female characters on TV (and probably in TV history). I wasn't as troubled. Yes, it's a very broad portrayal, focusing on Carrie's manic side and Danes' tendency to cry with her mouth turned upside down, but I don't know that it's any broader than most "SNL" pop culture parody — particularly for a show that, despite what Mike Bloomberg might suggest, the bulk of the "SNL" audience has likely never heard of, let alone seen. In these instances (like one of my favorite examples of this, Quentin Tarantino's "Welcome Back, Kotter"), you have to construct a sketch that will work both for people who know the subject and those who don't.
Not a perfect parody — especially not compared to the one on "Suburgatory" earlier this week (embedded below the "SNL" sketch) — but good enough, and one that will likely force me to notice how small Damian Lewis' mouth is when he talks, dammit. But I'm curious what both the "Homeland" fans and non-"Homeland" watchers made of this.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013