Review: 'The Office' - 'Couples Discount': World's worst boss
Ed Helms returns, but do even 'The Office' writers know what a terrible character Andy's become?
A quick review of last night's "The Office" coming up just as soon as we go outside to play catch...
"Couples Discount" was a fairly unpleasant episode to sit through — except, that is, in those moments when I began to wonder if the entire episode was a stealth commentary on what a terrible drag Andy has become on the show. Certainly, there were enough references to how much better things had gone during his absence, and to how much everybody used to like him once upon a time, that it's plausible to believe that Greg Daniels and company are aware of how the character has come across for quite some time now and have decided to make that part of the show.
The problem with that, though, is that it happened while reintroducing Andy himself as a significant part of the show, and I imagine we're being set up for a story arc where Andy tries to redeem himself. On the one hand, it's hard to imagine the character as presented here continuing as a regular character on the show — Michael Scott could be oblivious and insensitive and difficult to deal with, but he never sucked all the air out of the room the way Andy did. On the other, I'm not sure I'd trust even Greg Daniels to salvage Andy — particularly since it was on Daniels' watch that Andy went on the horrible boat trip. I understand it was necessary to let Ed Helms make six more "Hangover" sequels, but it took the bad situation of a character who was floundering as the hero of the show and made it worse by making him unlikable rather than just bland. Given how relatively well things went during Helms' absence — and how little the "Hangover" halo effect has helped the show's ratings — I wish someone had been willing to say, "You know what, Ed? Thanks for the time, but I think it's probably best for all involved if Andy stays on the boat."
As for Jim and Pam, I was heartened for about 5 seconds at the mention of Brian's wife and the group friendship, until I realized that we were being set up to learn that the two of them had split, which was fueling Brian's feelings for Pam. I actually thought the scene where Pam insisted that Jim stay so they could have their fight, Valentine's Day or not, was a good one — it felt real and mature in the way that couple fights on TV rarely do, and it illustrated how effectively the show could probably deal with Halpert-Beasley marital strife without requiring a third party. But we're clearly not done with Brian's crush on Pam yet, and he's an unnecessary intruder at this late date.
What did everybody else think? Were you at least relieved that Erin dumped Andy and got him in trouble with David, or would you rather Helms was off in movie-land for good?
News From Our Partners
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013