Review: 'New Girl' - 'Table 34': Is there another doctor in the house?
Nick and Jess deal with the aftermath of their kiss, and Cece goes to an Indian marriage convention
A quick review of tonight's "New Girl" coming up just as soon as I panic moonwalk away from you...
Okay, that's two episodes in a row that have done very well by this Nick/Jess romantic stuff. For the time being, I will trust Liz Meriwether and company on where this is going.
"Table 34" followed up last week's sparkling kiss scene with a whole lot of uncomfortable, funny regret from both Jess and Nick. It unfortunately means the end of Jess and Sam — someone please go watch the six episodes of "Bent" and write David Walton another series lead, okay? — but all the beats here played out honestly, fairly and amusingly. When Nick apologized to Jess after Sam broke up with her, I was briefly thinking there was no way the show could plausibly have them continue to be friends and roommates after that, and yet by the end of the scene, the script and Deschanel and Johnson had made the awkward detente believable, and even sweet.
Placing the awkward morning after action at the same Indian marriage convention attended by the other characters — and featuring the latest twist to the Schmidt/Cece relationship (with the simultaneously warm and ridiculous, in that very "New Girl" way, moment where Schmidt speaks up on her behalf in front of the prospective Indian grooms) — was also a clever idea, because it forced them to continually interact in what was otherwise a very comic context, while also frequently pairing them with others. I'm not sure I can remember the last notable Nick/Cece scene, assuming one even exists, but the idea that they would be treated as comparable within this social sphere was inspired, and also kept the two main plots well connected.
Throw in a funny Winston subplot that didn't feel like it got short shrift on time, and you've got another winner.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013