Review: 'New Girl' - 'Menzies': I get knocked down, but I get back up again
It's that time of the month for Jess, while Carla Gugino seduces Schmidt
A review of tonight's "New Girl" coming up just as soon as I feel like I want to murder someone and also I want soft pretzels...
PMS and other period-related humor is a really dicey subject, and one that often leads to lazy humor of the "Women be crazy, amiright fellas?" variety. But "Menzies" worked in part because Jess' PMS-driven behavior was tied in with the shame spiral she's been in all season. She's been in a dark place already, and this is just making it worse. On top of that, the various jokes — and the way the roommates reacted to her situation (Nick losing his temporary cool, for instance, when Jess said "it feels like a fat man sitting on my uterus") — felt very specific to these characters, rather than the usual hackiness sitcoms tend to apply to this subject. Winston faking sympathy PMS as a way to mask his post-breakup depression was goofy, but falls into the increasingly broad category of things the show does because Lamorne Morris will make it funny.
Speaking of which, the episode's highlight, unsurprisingly, was Nick opening up to silent Tran on the park bench. Put Jake Johnson in a situation and let him riff, and laughter will virtually always come. The only disappointment with that subplot was that Tran was still there at the pool when Nick brought Jess and Winston to the place, since at a certain point he would have just asked the old man to do the baby cradling thing since Nick himself was so inept at it.
As a Carla Gugino fan of long standing, I'm pleased to have her on this show for a little while, though this episode mainly felt like set-up for whatever kinky things these two will do together now that Schmidt is trying to move on from Cece. Still, what little we heard of the sex non-disclosure agreement (including "possible exposure to lead paint" and "guaranteed mercury poisoning") was amusing as a starter.
And much like "Black Betty" will always work as dramatic entrance or exit music, "Jump Around" will always work for any scene of characters who really like each other celebrating something like getting the gas turned back on, winning your high school baseball championship, etc.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013