Review: 'New Girl' - 'Cooler': No jacket required
Brooklyn Decker and Brenda Song join the gang for another round of True American
A quick review of tonight's "New Girl" coming up just as soon as I violate the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act...
For a season and a half, it's been clear that "New Girl" has been heading towards a Nick/Jess hook-up, and I've for the most part been ambivalent about the whole thing. Yes, Zooey Deschanel and Jake Johnson work well together. Yes, the characters are two very opposite personalities, sparks can fly, yada yada yada. But for the most part, it's felt like something the show has been doing because it's what's expected, rather than because anything particularly interesting has ever happened in the scenes where we're meant to think of them as a future couple and not as two mismatched friends.
Fair is fair, though: their kiss at the end of "Cooler" was a moment that completely and totally worked, even though the entire episode had made it clear that that exact thing was going to happen, with Jess reacting that exact way. For a couple of minutes there, I actually found myself intrigued by the idea of them hooking up, thanks to some excellent work by both Deschanel and, especially, Johnson.
The rest of "Cooler" dialed back the wackiness of the last few episodes in favor of a more straightforward hang-out episode, with the long-awaited return of True American thrown in as a bonus. (Adding new "rules" kept it from feeling like a rehash of the time they played it with Fancyman.) The result was an episode that was much less laugh-out-loud funny than the last few, but that was enjoyable nonetheless and felt true to the characters. And there were some nice running gags, from Holly (played acceptably by Brooklyn Decker) getting turned on by Schmidt and Nick's sadness to Winston's struggle speaking to women. ("Hey girl, what your name is?")
As almost always seems to happen with this show, there was so much going on that one storyline got short shrift, which in this case was Cece's date being convinced (understandably) that she was trying to bail on him. But overall, this worked.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013