Review: Lindsay Lohan doesn't impress in Lifetime's 'Liz & Dick'
Co-star Grant Bowler does better as Richard Burton than she does as Elizabeth Taylor
- Critic's Rating D+
- Readers' Rating n/a
Second, Lohan and Taylor have enough in common — former child stars who have become paparazzi obsessions as adults — that the "Liz & Dick" producers might have hoped this would be the role to re-harness the talent Lohan has let drift away in the years since "Mean Girls," and possibly provide some focus for her as well.
Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Off-camera, Lohan got into several tabloid-ready incidents during filming. On-camera, she’s inexpressive and extremely contemporary, in no way evoking one of the most iconic movie stars of all time even when she's wearing one of Taylor's signature costumes from "Cleopatra."
The shame of it is, her co-star Grant Bowler (you may remember him as Cooter the werewolf biker on "True Blood") acquits himself quite well as the love of Taylor's life, her two-time husband Richard Burton. The New Zealand-born Bowler does a close enough approximation of Burton's deep Welsh voice. More importantly, though, he's believable as a temperamental, alcoholic star of stage and screen whose worst instincts come to the surface whenever he gets a look at Liz Taylor's big violet eyes.
If Lohan were up for playing at Bowler's level, "Liz & Dick" might not be a great movie — like "Cleopatra," the famously expensive film the two met on, it's overdone in every way (there are two different framing devices, as if writer Christopher Monger and/or director Lloyd Kramer couldn't choose between them) and features horribe dialogue like "I don't loathe you; I hate you!" — but it might be an entertaining biopic about a couple who inadvertently helped create the celebrity tabloid culture we live in today.
Alan Sepinwall may be reached at email@example.com
News From Our Partners
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013