Review: 'Justified' - 'Money Trap': Know when to fold 'em
Raylan deals with a vengeful escappe, and Ava and Boyd go to a party
I'm on vacation this week, but I got to see tonight's "Justified" early, and have a few quick thoughts on it coming up just as soon as I don't use the diphthong...
"Money Trap" wasn't as busy as last week's episode, yet parts of it — particularly on the Raylan vs. Jody end of things — still felt more rushed than they needed to be. I liked Chris Chalk's simmering performance as Jody, was glad to see Michael Gladis away from "Mad Men" yet still wearing a '60s hat, and quite liked Shelley Hennig as the very Elmore Leonard-y Jackie Nevada (whom I imagine we haven't seen the last of), but a lot of the story's movement didn't quite make sense. Notably, a week after Raylan says it's been a while since he shot someone, he pumps a whole lot of bullets into Jody, the first person he's killed in a long time (depending on what you think happened to Icepick Nix and/or Dickie Bennett).
Boyd and Ava at the swingers' party hung together better, but I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that a cabal of rich guys from two towns over have been allowing the Crowders and Bennetts to run crime in Harlan all these years. The way Harlan has been drawn until now, it's a place non-locals don't understand, can't navigate and aren't welcome in (which is why Raylan has proven so useful to the Lexington field office, even with his many deficits as an employee). These people at Napier's party aren't exactly outsiders, but they're also not people who spend much time in hollers. We'll see how this plays out, but I'm intrigued by the idea of Sam Anderson (Bernard from "Lost") being Drew Thompson.
Also, I love just how much absolute venom can be contained in such a brief Raylan/Arlo scene as what we got at episode's end. Olyphant + Goggins is the show's most powerful combination, but Olyphant + Barry is awfully good, too.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013