Review: 'Girls' - 'Video Games': Rabbit, run
Hannah and Jessa head upstate to see Jessa's father
I'm on vacation, but I got to see tonight's "Girls" early, and have a few quick thoughts on it coming up just as soon as I like the way you fold down your turtleneck...
"Girls" season 2 hasn't exactly turned into "Louie," where you have no idea what kind of episode you're going to get each week, but it's felt more experimental, particularly in this three episode stretch of "One Man's Trash," "Boys" and now "Video Games," which takes place entirely in rural New York and only features Hannah and Jessa (plus an amusing cameo by Hannah's parents). I like the willingness to try different structures and to dig deeper into some of the characters — here giving us a lot of insight into how Jessa became the human wrecking ball she is today — even though it's meant some other characters (Shoshanna mainly, but even Adam) haven't gotten a lot of burn this year.
I also thought this was a very funny Hannah episode, as she has to deal with Jessa's crazy family (including Rosanna Arquette as the woman who gives the episode its title) and just keep herself entertained while Jessa is going through her drama. Hannah and Jessa's argument about why she had sex with Frank ("That was fully just me trying to have continuity with you!") was priceless, and the phone call home — where her pre-established issues with her mom prevents her from having the heartwarming moment she needs (and that so many other shows would provide in that circumstance) — provided a bitter, hilarious payoff to the UTI running gag.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
Don and Stan get a special shot, the agency loses a leader and Sally meets her 'Grandma Ida'Monday, May 20, 2013
The Lannisters throw a wedding, Daenerys faces a new army, and Stannis meets GendrySunday, May 19, 2013
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013