Review: 'Cougar Town' - 'Restless': The Jules Rules
Jules can't sleep, Grayson can't kiss, and Andy cashes in all his sex coupons
A quick review of tonight's "Cougar Town" coming up just as soon as I distract you with shoe talk...
I didn't get around to last week's episode for several days (TBS sent six episodes out for advance review, but not the first six episodes of the season, as it turns out), and felt it was ultimately too off-brand for "Cougar Town," where jobs have been a story topic, but never quite this relentlessly. "Restless" was more on-topic (and funnier), but also touched on some troublesome areas for the show.
Jules' struggle with insomnia led to a lot of strong gags (I particularly liked the guys showing Jules what her sleep dancing looked like) and also worked as a strong set-up to The Jules Rules as both a solution to all of Grayson's problems and a way to deal again with the awkwardness of Bobby and Grayson being such close friends now. On the other hand, the very idea of The Jules Rules, while meant to suggest that it was just Bobby's way to make her happy, instead plays like she's a gullible fool easily controlled by the men in her life.
Ellie and Andy and the sex coupons, meanwhile, was problematic for a few reasons. I thought the running gag a few weeks ago about Andy doing unspeakable things to Ellie while she was asleep (albeit with her advance, blanket permission) was funny, but go to that kind of well too often — and this episode does it twice, as it's implied Grayson had sex with Jules while she sleepwalked — and it becomes more awkward (and/or lazy). The larger issue, though, is that I don't tend to buy those requisite moments where Ellie has to spend 90 seconds expressing her real feelings for Andy before going back to being mean to him and everyone else. The heartfelt response to a previously comic story is part of the Bill Lawrence formula, and one the show usually uses well — as it does here with Travis explaining the real meaning of Bobby giving Grayson the rulebook — but it almost always plays like lip service when Ellie does it, whether with Andy or Jules. (Weirdly, though, I believe it when she admits her feelings to Bobby.)
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013