Review: 'Cougar Town' - 'I Should Have Known It': Jules smash!
The Cul-de-Sac Crew steps up for sad-sack Tom
A quick review of tonight's "Cougar Town" coming up just as soon as my shirt is a lie...
When you have a comedy largely defined by how much its characters like each other, it can be tricky when one of them becomes a constant subject of abuse. "Parks and Recreation" dealt with it by eventually revealing that Jerry's life away from the parks department is so fantastic that he doesn't mind being the butt of his co-workers' jokes, and here "Cougar Town" deals with it by finally bringing Tom into Jules' house — and making him a part of the Cul-de-Sac Crew. "I Should Have Known It" is a good reward episode for Bob Clendenin (though I imagine the move to TBS killed any chance of making him a regular castmember), giving Tom a temporary love interest (played by friend of the show Alexandra Wentworth) and letting Jules and Laurie step up to protect him in the same obsessive, boundary-ignoring way they would any of their other friends.
And befitting an episode where the group takes on its first new member since Grayson, the other two subplots were devoted to the Crew's official and unofficial rules. Grayson and Jules battle for control of the swing votes when they decide the group should run on a majority vote (and Grayson loses because he underestimates the power of the hug pact to secure Andy's vote), and then Ellie takes a stand against the way the rest of the gang coddles Bobby at all. Both were smart, funny takes on the very dysfunctional nature of the group, and continued the hot streak the show's been on in this TBS incarnation.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013