Review: 'Cougar Town' - 'I Need to Know': Fact or fiction?
Jules holds Travis too tightly, the guys grow mustaches, and Andy gets the dog treatment
A quick review of tonight's "Cougar Town" coming up just as soon as I have a racist salt shaker collection...
Last week's episode was a reassuring start to the TBS era for "Cougar Town," and "I Need to Know" is an even stronger outing, with a collection of fine escalating running gags (Laurie egging on Grayson's minor homophobia, Ellie turning Andy into a dog, the gang forgetting to feed poor Tom's cat(*)) circling around a strong, funny central story about Jules struggling to kick her addiction to Travis.
(*) I've said in the past that the crew's treatment of Tom walks a very delicate line, in much the way "Parks and Rec" needs to remind us every now and then that Jerry is more than just the butt of everyone's jokes. The feral cat thing, while very painful for him, stayed just to the right side of that line, because it was a mistake rather than something they deliberately chose not to do.
Jules' inability to let go of her son has always been one of the show's strongest themes — season 1's Thanksgiving episode, which is easy to point to as the moment when "Cougar Town" arrived as the show we know and like today, was all about that relationship — and "I Need to Know" did an excellent job of playing it for laughs as long as possible before the pathos kicked in. Whether Jules was making Travis and his date watch "Game of Thrones" and its explicit sex scenes, or suggesting that she and her son now be "Friends with benefits," or insisting that loving Travis is the same as being in love with Travis, this was a consistently funny, uncomfortable storyline, and well directed by Courteney Cox herself, in her third outing behind the "Cougar Town" cameras.
I'd have liked for the mustache growing stunt to have a payoff in and of itself, rather than setting up Laurie's stunt with the Glarmy, but that's a minor complaint for what was otherwise a very strong, "Cougar Town"-y episode of "Cougar Town."
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013