Review: 'Community' - 'Advanced Documentary Filmmaking': Waiting for MacGuffin
Abed makes a film about Jeff's attempts to prove Chang is faking his 'Changnesia'
A quick review of tonight's "Community" coming up just as soon as I workshop a blackface Senor Wences bit...
I wasn't crazy about all of "Advanced Documentary Filmmaking," which like a lot of this season's parody episodes didn't seem fully committed to the bit. (We randomly got yet another cop show parody within our documentary parody, for some reason, even though we know very well how Troy Barnes acts both when he's on camera and when he's pretending to be a cop, and this wasn't quite either.) But there were some funny moments like Britta failing to record Shirley's emotional confession ("I was dead for three minutes!") or Jeff responding to Chang's "What are you having?" with a self-righteous "None of this!"
And I quite liked the scene where "Kevin" admits that Chang was kind of a terrible person and that anyone would want to forget being him. Not that Chang has been the show's most successful or consistent character to begin with, but the new creative team were handed an extra-smelly bag of dog pooh with what Chang did at the end of last season. I could respect the idea that the only sane way to deal with it would be to start over from scratch, keeping Ken Jeong but ditching the problematic character he'd been playing for three seasons. I'd have even been okay with the idea that Changnesia was a lie Chang had invented because he'd realized what a monster he'd become and felt this was the only way anyone would tolerate him...
... so of course we had to get a tag scene that completely undid everything that happened previously in the episode, revealing that not only was Chang faking, but for nefarious purposes, in conspiracy with some unseen partner. (My guess would be Dean Spreck, given that City College is the last place we saw Chang last season.) Blech. No interest in Chang continuing to play deranged supervillain. At all.
What did everybody else think? How do you feel this documentary compared to the previous two? Did you like the final reveal, or would you rather Kevin be real? And given the circumstances of Chevy Chase's departure — and his frequent complaints that Pierce was just written as an oblivious, bigoted clown — how did you feel about the material he got to play tonight?
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013