Review: 'Bunheads' - 'You Wanna See Something?': Candid Cameron
Michelle gets a new job while the girls pass a package around in the dramedy's welcome return
A review of the "Bunheads" mid-season premiere coming up just as soon as I wire a cardboard box for electricity...
I wish, in an odd way, that ABC Family had reversed the scheduling of these two batches of episodes. The first group aired in the summer, when I had time to write about each one, but at a time when the show was still figuring itself out. Now it's back at mid-season, a much busier TV time of year, and I suspect I won't be writing about it weekly anymore, but I really liked "You Wanna See Something?" and next week's episode, as well.
"You Wanna See Something?" has to undo the "Oh captain, my captain" cliffhanger from that time Michelle hilariously maced a bunch of children, but it also gets to demonstrate just how thoroughly "Bunheads" has found itself.
When the show started, I didn't see what value the girls added other than (vaguely) fitting the series into the ABC Family brand; now, it's hard to imagine it without all four, who each have clearly delineated personalities and comic identities. I also had major issues with using Hubbell's death as the excuse for Michelle to stay in town, and while I still think they were probably better off going another route, the Michelle/Fanny relationship has found a nice equilibrium, and the scenes tonight showing Hubbell talking about Michelle to the wedding videographer demonstrated the emotional value that the backstory can provide.
Plus, we had Boo's auto-tune (and the dance Fanny choreographed to it), Michael DeLuise once again being awesome(*) as Michelle's cheesey magician boss, the long rant about Henderson, and so many more jokes that popped.
(*) Why do more people not hire DeLuise? He's great at both comedy and drama, and I'm not saying that just out of "NYPD Blue" loyalty.
Very glad to have "Bunheads" back. Will write about it when I can.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013
Lecter becomes interested in a local killer, and Will begins hearing thingsThursday, May 16, 2013
A show that shouldn't have worked instead became a great, popular, influential oneThursday, May 16, 2013