Review: 'Bunheads' - 'You Wanna See Something?': Candid Cameron
Michelle gets a new job while the girls pass a package around in the dramedy's welcome return
A review of the "Bunheads" mid-season premiere coming up just as soon as I wire a cardboard box for electricity...
I wish, in an odd way, that ABC Family had reversed the scheduling of these two batches of episodes. The first group aired in the summer, when I had time to write about each one, but at a time when the show was still figuring itself out. Now it's back at mid-season, a much busier TV time of year, and I suspect I won't be writing about it weekly anymore, but I really liked "You Wanna See Something?" and next week's episode, as well.
"You Wanna See Something?" has to undo the "Oh captain, my captain" cliffhanger from that time Michelle hilariously maced a bunch of children, but it also gets to demonstrate just how thoroughly "Bunheads" has found itself.
When the show started, I didn't see what value the girls added other than (vaguely) fitting the series into the ABC Family brand; now, it's hard to imagine it without all four, who each have clearly delineated personalities and comic identities. I also had major issues with using Hubbell's death as the excuse for Michelle to stay in town, and while I still think they were probably better off going another route, the Michelle/Fanny relationship has found a nice equilibrium, and the scenes tonight showing Hubbell talking about Michelle to the wedding videographer demonstrated the emotional value that the backstory can provide.
Plus, we had Boo's auto-tune (and the dance Fanny choreographed to it), Michael DeLuise once again being awesome(*) as Michelle's cheesey magician boss, the long rant about Henderson, and so many more jokes that popped.
(*) Why do more people not hire DeLuise? He's great at both comedy and drama, and I'm not saying that just out of "NYPD Blue" loyalty.
Very glad to have "Bunheads" back. Will write about it when I can.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013