Review: 'Bunheads' - 'Better Luck Next Year!': Taking the cake
Michelle helps Fanny prepare for the Joffrey auditions, while Boo braces for failure
Comic-Con prep means I don't have time to write about last night's "Bunheads" in anything resembling depth, but Dan and I will be discussing it on this week's second podcast, and I wanted to offer people a chance to discuss episode four, which in many ways felt like the pilot to the show Amy Sherman-Palladino actually wanted to make. A couple of quick thoughts coming up just as soon as I'm robbed in reverse...
After spending three episodes steering Michelle to Paradise and giving her a reason to stay, we're done dealing with any grief over Hubbell (who's not even alluded to in this one, much less mentioned), and it's just a situation where Michelle and Fanny are getting to know each other, learn how their personalities and skill sets work together, etc.
But if this is the show she wanted to make, I don't know that "Better Luck Next Year!" was the best example of that show. This one was written and directed by Sherman-Palladino's husband and creative partner Daniel Palladino, and like his "Gilmore Girls" episodes, much of it felt ever so slightly off from his wife's voice, and pushing certain character traits (in this case, Fanny's bossiness) past funny and into annoying.
I liked the three minutes or so we spent on Boo, but "Bunheads" is still a series that treats the girls more as an ABC Family requirement than anything it's genuinely interested in.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013