Review: '30 Rock' - 'Aunt Phatso vs. Jack Donaghy': The agony of the feet
Tracy models a movie character after Jack, while Hazel takes advantage of Liz
A quick review of last night's "30 Rock" coming up just as soon as I say "guards, seize him!" at a Knicks game...
The maturation of characters on long-running comedies can be a lose-lose situation. If characters don't grow and change, their schtick may grow tired, but if they do grow and change, they may evolve past what made them funny in the first place. But it doesn't always have to be that way, as evidenced by the A-story of "Aunt Phatso vs. Jack Donaghy." As Tracy notes, he's come a long way from the guy we met at the start of the series, and in terms of his larger portfolio, he's actually more powerful than Jack at this point. And yet he's still Tracy, the kind of guy who would prove his point by getting the New York Philharmonic to play a four-hour orchestral version of the "Sanford and Son" theme(*), and his inherent Tracy-ness would prevent Jack from recognizing that Tracy was now a legitimate peer. A very funny character story, as well as an effective spoof of the Madea movies, an homage to Alec Baldwin's "Knots Landing" days, and more.
(*) I would buy a ticket to this concert, by the way.
The Hazel story was less effective because, well, it was about Hazel, but even it had its charms, from Liz literally babying her disgusting feet ("six times a day, brown stuff comes out of them") to Jenna turning into Homer Simpson and having a running dialogue/duet with her brain. And I wonder if Liz's part of that story is setting up an endgame where she walks away from the show (if not from showbiz itself) now that she's recognized that everyone else at "TGS" is too incompetent for her to ever take the step back she would need to in order to have kids.
We're almost at the halfway point of this final season. Given how funny "30 Rock" has been of late, I will be very sorry to see it go, but I can't blame them for wanting to leave us wanting more.
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013