Report: 'How I Met Your Mother' to run forever and ever and ever
Jason Segel has apparently agreed to a ninth season; will we ever meet the Mother?
"How I Met Your Mother" is reportedly coming back for a ninth season — and if the show's creators take their title literally, we may have another year and a half, minimum, before Ted Mosby gets a look at his future wife.
Deadline's Nikki Finke is reporting that a last-minute deal has been closed for a ninth season renewal, after Jason Segel — the one cast member who was reluctant to come back, due to his busy film career — agreed to stick around for the sake of his co-stars.
Whether Finke is right or not about a deal being finished, every story on the "HIMYM" renewal discussions — including public comments by creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays — has made one thing clear: Thomas and Bays wanted an answer very very soon, so they could map out the rest of the sitcom's complicated mythology.
Which certainly suggests that they really don't want us to meet the Mother until the very end of the series.
Bays and Thomas have always played coy about when the eponymous moment might play out on the show. But last year, they said they were at least toying with the idea of introducing the Mother by the end of season 8, renewal or not, and then coming up with a new course for a ninth season — whether it was flashbacks to untold moments from the previous eight years, or simply moving forward with the Mother as a regular character.
But if they were seriously considering that, then they wouldn't have needed to set a deadline for finding out if there would be another season. If they were confident that the Mother would be peeking out from under the yellow umbrella by the end of May, no matter what, this wouldn't be an issue. They'd just plot out the rest of the season and figure out how season 9 would work whenever the deal closed.
This could, of course, be part of the ongoing game of misdirection the show plays. Bays and Thomas may be intending to introduce the Mother very soon — it happens on the day of Robin and Barney's wedding, and they got engaged in this week's episode — and just wanted an answer so the rest of the crew would know if they needed to start looking for new jobs already.
But brace yourself for a lot more of Future Ted saying, "But we'll get to that later," just in case.
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013