Press Tour: 'Almost everything is completed' on 'How I Met Your Mother' renewal
Will the ninth season be the last? And will they hold the Mother reveal until the very end, no matter what?
When a late December report suggested that "How I Met Your Mother" was on the verge of being renewed for a ninth season, I began speculating once again on when Carter Bays and Craig Thomas intend to introduce us to Ted Mosby's future wife, and came to the conclusion that they'd rather that not happen until the very end of the series.
The renewal still isn't official, but CBS president Nina Tassler told reporters at press tour today that, "I will be very happy to report, in a very few days, I believe, that things will be resolved. We're very confident and excited that things will all work out. Almost everything is completed."
And comments she made about the pending renewal suggested that, no, we will not be meeting the Mother anytime soon.
After the session, I asked whether storytelling decisions had come up in the renewal talks, or if it was just about locking down all the actors.
"They had two plans in place," Tassler said of Bays and Thomas, "which is 1)what they would do if we resolve this year, and 2)what they would do if we came back next year. So we're probably going to sit down and talk to them, probably, in about a month."
As the scrum continued, Tassler insisted, "I'm feeling very very confident" of renewal. "I'm feeling good!"
And is there a chance the show could continue for a tenth season or longer, given the ratings?
Tassler said, "We talked about this the other day: do people watch the show beyond knowing the Mother? I bet there are a lot of people that would continue to watch after that. But it would be the end as designed by Carter and Craig, and I wouldn't want to even attempt to undermine whatever their creative goal is."
This pretty clearly suggested that "the end as designed by Carter and Craig" involves taking the title of the series literally, but when another reporter pointed this out to Tassler, she doubled back and insisted, "I'm not telling you when you're going to meet the Mother."
And so we wait... and wait... and wait some more. And hope that things will be funny until we get there.
News From Our Partners
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013
Firewall & Iceberg Podcast, episode 183: 'Behind the Candelabra,' 'The Goodwin Games,' 'Motive' & moreDan and Alan also review 'Save Me,' talk about 'SNL' departures and a wacky 'Mad Men'Monday, May 20, 2013
A police procedural that doesn't bother with whodunnit, but doesn't replace it with anything interestingMonday, May 20, 2013