Morning TV Round-Up: 'Bob's Burgers' & 'Happy Endings'
Leg waxing, laser tag and bird autopsies?
Press tour eats into a lot of my TV-watching and reviewing time (much of what I write this week, review-wise, will be of shows I screened before I came to tour), but I did manage to catch last night's episodes of "Bob's Burgers" and "Happy Endings," and have a few quick thoughts coming up just as soon as I mount a dead fly from my windowsill production of "Pippin"...
One of my big disappointments of 2012 was falling very far behind on "Bob's Burgers" because I always had to prioritize new shows and/or ones I was covering weekly. Every now and then, I'll catch a stray one that only reminds me how much I like this show, and "Mother Daughter Laser Razor" was a particularly fine example of the show's formula — a mix of silly, sweet and just plain strange (Tina's "Terminator 2" nightmare about her leg hairs) in action. The cross-cutting between the screams at the leg waxing place and by Louise and her friend while they were forced to watch "Freaky Friday" was particularly funny, but I thought all the pieces fit together very well.
"Happy Endings," meanwhile, began the first of several Sunday airings — ABC is going to have this show and "Don't Trust the Bandana In Apt. 23" airing on both Sundays and Tuesdays for a while to get them off the air a little quicker than originally planned — with an episode that pushed the outer limits of both raunch (Dave's various "I want you to come" songs/texts, the jerk circle, 79ing) and cartoonishness (the doppelgangers, Penny and Brad freaking out about the dead bird). And yet I thought the writing of certain sections, like the cold open listing all the Cons (even though I wish there was enough time/budget to actually show Rom-Con-Con, instead of just putting Alex in "Annie Hall" drag), or Max detailing the depths of his lonely life, were really very sharply-written and funny. (I'm still laughing at Max's explanation of the Jeff and Stan Van Gundy sex dream, for instance.)
What did everybody else think?
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013
If picked up, would be first regular TV job in decades for the 'Soap' and 'SNL' alumWednesday, May 22, 2013
A Showtime leftover doesn't really fit at NBCWednesday, May 22, 2013