Looking back and looking forward: Some final TV links of 2012
Happy almost New Year, everybody! As you know, I took last week off to hang with my family (and eat a disturbing amount of milk chocolate in the wilds of Hershey, PA), but now I'm back to prep for the start of the Television Critics Association winter press tour, which kicks off on Thursday night.
I'll have a quick post on the "Doctor Who" Christmas special up shortly, but first I wanted to link to various TV-related things — some co-written by me, some not — that ran on HitFix in my absence, for anyone who was also away last week but has some time today before 2012 goes away:
* Fienberg and I teamed up for a look at the biggest TV stories of 2012, including NBC's return from the dead, "Homeland" announcing its Emmy presence with authority, the popularity (and backstage tumult) at "The Walking Dead," and more.
* Looking ahead, Dan, Liane and I picked some of the most anticipated TV premieres (both new and returning shows) of 2013.
* Dan picked his 10 least favorite shows of 2012, proving once again that Angry Dan is also Awesome Dan. But he also reminded us that he can write very eloquently about stuff he likes as well with his second 10 best shows of 2012 list.
* While I was in Hershey, we lost two great character actors with extensive TV credits: Jack Klugman and Charles Durning. Klugman was, of course, Oscar Madison (here's Oscar and Felix on "Password") and Quincy, M.E. (and also used that show to help save many lives in the real world, as explained in this terrific Washington Post story), while Durning was a regular on "Evening Shade" and was always fantastic whenever he would pop up on "Rescue Me" as Tommy's dad.
* And creator Bryan Fuller confirmed what we all knew for a long time: NBC won't be going forward with "Mockingbird Lane," after the pilot aired back in October.
Good to be back (though, like the rest of you, I'll be off again tomorrow). Lots to talk about as we enter 2013 — and that's even if I finally take pity on Dan and retire all discussion of Katharine McPhee playing the title role in "Smash: The Smash Williams Story."
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
Let Streaming Genie help you.