'How I Met Your Mother' officially renewed for 9th and final season
We won't meet the Mother until season 9, but hopefully early
It's official: "How I Met Your Mother" has been renewed for a ninth and final season.
And we won't be meeting the Mother until that season. Although in theory, we'll get some time to know her before things end.
CBS and 20th Century Fox Television finally closed the deal to bring the entire cast and crew back for a ninth and final season, when, according to the press release, "audiences will final learn the identity of the ‘Mother.’"
When a premature report suggested the renewal was happening around Christmas-time, I suggested that all the dithering suggested that the "HIMYM" creators were going to take the title of the show literally, no matter what, and push the meeting off until the very end of the series. But a few episodes ago, the show committed to Robin and Barney's wedding — the event where Ted meets the Mother — happening in May of 2013, and on a press conference call yesterday, co-creator Craig Thomas said that "That will definitely happen. We are heading toward a set date. We set it on TV and we will stick to it. We've been seeing glimpses of this wedding for like three years — we have to get there already, right?"
The wording of the press release, though, makes clear that even if we see the wedding before this season is out, we won't be seeing all of it, and that the moment of the night where Ted bumps into his future wife will be held off at least until next season's premiere. It would be hard to imagine Thomas and Carter Bays dragging it out past that point, but then, we're already pretty much past the point where Ted could realistically father a daughter who, in 2030, looks like Lyndey Fonseca (who plays Future Ted's daughter) did back in 2005.
If we fade to black this spring before the Mother shows up, but get most or all of a ninth season to get to know her, I can live with that. "HIMYM" isn't what it was, but perhaps introducing the woman of Ted's dreams into the mix can revitalize the show in the same way she'll finally make its main character happy.
News From Our Partners
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
Will's gift takes an increasing toll; can the bad Dr. Lecter help him?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013