FOX pulls 'Ben and Kate,' scraps four-sitcom Tuesday bloc in favor of 'Hell's Kitchen'
'Raising Hope' will pull double duty until March
As recently as two weeks ago, FOX president Kevin Reilly said there was nothing that could be done in-season to fix the flagging fortunes of his Tuesday comedy lineup, and that "we've just gotta play through" from then until May.
But several more weeks of ratings data for the night in general changed that opinion, as today FOX announced that "Ben and Kate" is being pulled from the schedule immediately, and that the four-sitcom bloc will be going away by March, with "Hell's Kitchen" leading into survivors "New Girl" and "The Mindy Project."
"Ben and Kate" has consistently been the lowest-rated of the four comedies, and has been viewed as damaging "New Girl" at 9. So it's gone, though FOX insists the remaining episodes will air at some point. In the meantime, FOX will double up on "Raising Hope" episodes on Jan. 29, Feb. 5 and Feb. 26, and air "New Girl" repeats at 8:30 on Feb. 12 (the night of the State of the Union Address) and Feb. 19. The "American Idol" semi-finals pre-empt the whole Tuesday lineup on March 5, and then beginning March 12, a new season of "Hell's Kitchen" takes over at 8, leading into "New Girl" and "Mindy."
As a reward to "Raising Hope" for this double-duty, the show's hour-long season finale will get to air after "Idol" on Thursday, March 28 at 9.
I watched "Ben and Kate" intermittently over its brief life, enjoying certain parts (particularly everything involving Oscar Winner Nat Faxon and Echo Kellum together), but never really feeling like it transcended my initial assessment of it as a show that was likable but only occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. The failure of the Tuesday comedy bloc was one of many things to go wrong for FOX this season — if anything, FOX's overall struggles probably kept "Ben and Kate" on the air a month or two longer than it otherwise might have lasted.
Reality shows can be iffy lead-ins for sitcoms ("Dancing with the Stars" didn't do much for "Happy Endings," but "Goon" has cratered without "The Voice" in front of it), but this is at least FOX making an effort to protect "New Girl," and maybe see if "Mindy" is salvageable.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013