Emmys 2012 Predictions: Outstanding Comedy Series
Is 'Modern Family' a lock to threepeat?
Dan and I are almost done with our picks for who should and will win the major Emmy categories on Sunday night. In our next-to-last post, it's time to look at the contenders for Outstanding Comedy Series.
"The Big Bang Theory"
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Alan's pick: "Parks and Recreation," the best pure comedy on television, isn't here. Nor is "Louie," which isn't exactly a comedy all the time, but is great and was eligible here (as evidenced by its nominations in other comedy categories). Of the ones that are left, I'm choosing between "Girls," which had very promising debut season and didn't feel like anything else on television; "Curb Your Enthusiasm," which had three all-time classic episodes and a bunch of others that weren't all that special; and "30 Rock," which had one of its strongest seasons to date late in the run. I like "Girls" a lot, but I'm gonna go with Liz Lemon and friends, who made me laugh loudly and often throughout those 22 episodes, and forever changed the way I think of banjos.
Dan's pick: "Louie"! No? "Parks and Recreation"! No? Hmmm... Well, it was a very good season for "30 Rock," a somewhat under-the-radar comeback given how acclaimed many of NBC's other comedies are. But does "30 Rock" really need my support? Nah. Probably not. So my imaginary vote goes to "Girls" for successfully navigating a tightrope that saw the show tiptoe right up to the edge of "obnoxious" without ever toppling in the wrong direction. I've been raving about that balancing act since spring and I'd like to support it one last time.
Alan's pick: Emmy voters love "Modern Family." This is well-established. Its mix of single-camera mockumentary style and more traditional multi-camera jokes gives it broad appeal among many constituencies in the TV Academy. And while I didn't think this season overall was the show's best, there were enough good episodes to make a successful Emmy sampler. "30 Rock" (which did well in the past) or "Curb" could sneak in, but a "Modern Family" threepeat seems like one of the night's more inevitable results.
Dan's pick: Until proven otherwise, it's my assumption that "Modern Family" is unbeatable.
News From Our Partners
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013