Chevy Chase leaving 'Community'
NBC sitcom will film last 1 or 2 episodes of season 4 without Pierce
Almost from the moment Chevy Chase joined the cast of "Community," he has talked about wanting off of the NBC sitcom. Well, today, his wish was granted, as the veteran actor was allowed to leave the series before filming of the fourth season ends.
As first reported by Deadline, and confirmed for me by Sony, there are 1 or 2 episodes left to film of the show's 13-episode order (because the show won't be premiering until February 7, there won't be room on the schedule for additional episodes to be ordered, even in the incredibly unlikely event of a ratings uptick).
Chase has never been the most popular person on the "Community" set, and at public appearances featuring the whole cast, there was always a palpable tension between him and his co-stars. "Community" creator Dan Harmon (before he was fired by Sony for non-Chevy-related reasons) made his own feud with Chase public when, at one of his Harmontown shows, he played a profane voicemail message the actor had left for him in the wake of Harmon insulting him at a "Community" party.
He made it almost to the end of this season, but not quite.
UPDATE: So, since his actual exit isn't surprising (though the timing is), it's time to start brainstorming ways the show can deal with his absence for the remaining episode(s) to be filmed without him:
1)Pierce dies off-camera in a gruesome and/or mortifying way. This is how "Two and a Half Men" got rid of Charlie Harper, but at the start of a new season.
2)They stunt-cast a replacement or replacements for Pierce without any of the characters (save Abed, of course) acknowledging the change. Even if it's only for one episode, you have a different Pierce in every scene.
3)A large cardboard cut-out of Chevy appears in every study group scene, possibly with word balloons conveying offensive punchlines at the appropriate moments.
4)Someone from the larger Greendale universe — Leonard, Magnitude, Fat Neil, etc. — gets a promotion, possibly reciting the exact dialogue written for Pierce.
5)Something else fabulous to be suggested below. Go.
UPDATE 2: I'm told the finale was filmed in advance, which means Chevy will be in that but not 1 or 2 episodes preceding it, which limits our options somewhat on how to deal with his absence. Factor that in accordingly.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013
Dan and Alan also discuss the recent finales of 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race'Friday, May 17, 2013
Dwight gets married and the staff revisits the documentary in a lovely farewellThursday, May 16, 2013