CBS to start Sunday shows half-hour later to accommodate NFL doubleheaders
On many fall weekends, '60 Minutes' will officially start at 7:30, 'Good Wife' at 9:30, etc.
CBS is adjusting the way it schedules its Sunday primetime shows on weekends where the network airs an NFL doubleheader.
Football season has always made the start times for "60 Minutes" and company rough estimates at best, but it's become more of an issue in the age of DVRs, and particularly this season, due to the NFL shifting the start time for its Sunday late-afternoon games from 4:15 p.m. to 4:25 p.m. Two nights ago, all of CBS' shows shifted nearly a half an hour, and as a result, that's how CBS will officially schedule its shows for future doubleheader weekends.
CBS still has doubleheaders on September 16 and 23, October 7 and 21, November 4 and 18 and December 2, 16 and 30. On those nights, "60 Minutes" will officially start at 7:30, "Big Brother" or (after September 23) "The Amazing Race" at 8:30, "The Good Wife" at 9:30 and "The Mentalist" at 10:30. That means that, barring an incredibly long late game, if you set your DVR to record those shows, the whole show should record without needing padding.
This doesn't solve every problem, as it's only being done on the national doubleheader days, and many local markets frequently have their team playing the late game. (This is a big problem in New York, for instance, where the Jets and Giants almost never play at the same time, meaning one of them is always the late game.) CBS also has its "Eye-lert" system to alert you to when delays are happening, and now long they'll be, but they're of limited use if you won't happen to be near your DVR that day.
Still, it's a step in the right direction. FOX long ago accepted that it was madness to schedule shows in the 7 o'clock hour in fall and instead goes with its "The O.T." overtime show that can be as long or as short as necessary to ensure that "The Simpsons" starts at 8. CBS executives have said in the past that their Sunday shows often do better on nights when they're delayed by football, and that as a result saw no need to change anything. But when your customers are annoyed — even if it's not enough of them to hurt the Nielsen number — it's usually wise to do something about that.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
Steven Soderbergh biopic about Liberace is HBO's best movie in yearsFriday, May 24, 2013
Will gets lost in a case, and Lecter tries to protect Abigail HobbsThursday, May 23, 2013
Announcing this summer's blog rewatch seriesThursday, May 23, 2013
The Dunphys and Pritchetts head to Florida for the funeral of Phil's momThursday, May 23, 2013