'Breaking Bad' tops HitFix's First Annual Television Critics' Poll
What did a blue ribbon panel of the nation's top TV critics pick as their 10 favorite shows of 2012?
On Friday, I picked my top 10 shows of 2012. Later in the week, Dan's video will be running, and I'll also have a post listing the 10 shows that just as easily could have made the cut as many of the shows on my list.
Today, though, it's time to bring in a wider array of voice, as we introduce HitFix's First Annual Television Critics' Poll, in which we assembled several dozen of the nation's top TV critics and reporters and asked them to rank their 10 favorite shows of the year. Simple weighted vote — the #1 show on anyone's list was worth 10 points, the #10 worth 1 point, etc. — and a way to get a broader critical consensus of the year in television, in the same way that there are always year-end polls of movie and music critics.
As the headline says, "Breaking Bad" was the convincing winner of the poll. It's an interesting collection of shows, some of which are in my top 10, most of which will be in my top 20, but showing a diverse array of the kinds of great comedy and drama (and, once you get past the top 10, movies, miniseries, reality, etc.) to be found on TV today.
So go look at the poll, which includes not only the top 10, but all the shows that got votes (and you can click on each show to see who voted for it, and at what spot), as well as complete ballots from all the participating writers. And, as always, we welcome your input. What does everybody else think of the final results?
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
Don and Stan get a special shot, the agency loses a leader and Sally meets her 'Grandma Ida'Monday, May 20, 2013
The Lannisters throw a wedding, Daenerys faces a new army, and Stannis meets GendrySunday, May 19, 2013
Promising pilots, puzzling scheduling moves and moreSunday, May 19, 2013
The Doctor uncovers Clara's secret and comes face-to-face with a surprising figureSaturday, May 18, 2013