A 'Buffy'/'Deadwood' rewind clarification
Note that both the podcast and blog rewinds will begin with two episodes at once
So on Tuesday, Fienberg and I announced that this summer's podcast rewind would be season 1 of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," and on Thursday, I added that the blog rewind would be season 2 of "Deadwood."
What we failed to do a good job of in either instance was to clarify exactly how much you all should be watching before the first discussion begins.
With "Buffy," it's the two-hour series premiere as it aired on the WB 15 years ago, but which has been separated into two episodes for syndication, on DVD and now on Netflix and Amazon streaming. So watch both "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and "The Harvest" before the next podcast, which may be this coming week or may be the following, given Dan's travels.
With "Deadwood," I decided after watching the first two episodes — "A Lie Agreed Upon, Part I" and "A Lie Agreed Upon, Part II" — that even though they didn't air on the same night the way the "Buffy" premiere did, the titles and the structure suggests that David Milch wanted them to be viewed as one big premiere story, so that's what we're going to do. I'll be discussing both at once with the review going up on Friday morning, and the plan is to do one episode per week after that, give or take my own summer travels.
Sorry for the added wrinkle, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew what the homework assignment was before the next class.
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
Cathy and her family prepare for the end as the Showtime dramedy concludes on a strong noteTuesday, May 21, 2013
Daniel ponders a trip out of town as the terrific first season comes to a closeMonday, May 20, 2013
Some interesting pieces in a new sitcom from the 'HIMYM' guys, but it's a dead show walkingMonday, May 20, 2013
Firewall & Iceberg Podcast, episode 183: 'Behind the Candelabra,' 'The Goodwin Games,' 'Motive' & moreDan and Alan also review 'Save Me,' talk about 'SNL' departures and a wacky 'Mad Men'Monday, May 20, 2013