Maybe it’s the longest promotional tour in history. Or perhaps it’s the longest goodbye? Whatever it is, Bryan Fuller has given us some answers about the future of Hannibal.

In an interview with Collider at the Saturn Awards, the show’s creator indicated when life could be breathed back into the series. And it looks like it’ll be about another year until we have an answer.

“August 2017 is when we can actually start talking about [other options],” Fuller said. “That’s when we would have to see what the rights are for the character and for the story and see who’s interested and how we get it done. I have the story, and the cast is excited for the story, so we’re ready to go if somebody wants to go.”

Fuller added, “The cast is game, I’m game. It’s just a matter of finding the right time where everybody’s schedules sync up, but I would love to continue to tell the story with Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen. They’re such a fantastic collaborators and one of the most satisfying actor-showrunner relationships I’ve ever had in this industry. So I would love to continue this story.”

Hannibal was sacked after three seasons. Its average viewership for the last year was a paltry 1.31 million viewers, less than half of what it was during season 1. One of the program’s EPs, Martha De Laurentiis, has previously claimed that the show’s demise was driven, at least in part, to people downloading pirated copies.

De Laurentiis told The Hill, “When nearly one-third of the audience for Hannibal is coming from pirated sites — despite the fact that a legitimate download for each episode was available the following day — you don’t have to know calculus to do the math. If a show is stolen, it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to fairly compensate a crew and keep a series in production.”

So now we wait. Only 403 days until August 1, 2017.

David Eckstein is a writer living in Los Angeles.