Watch: The full video for Madonna's 'Turn Up The Radio'
There's always room in her car for one more
- Critic's Rating B-
- Readers' Rating n/a
Madonna’s “Turn Up The Radio” video opens with great promise: a shot of her legs in back high heels walking down a hall, but as anyone who saw the teaser released Friday, she’s not headed for “Justify My Love” type hi-jinks. Not this time. Instead, Madge is ready for some PG-rated fresh air.
She leaves her hotel an climbs into a Cadillac convertible, aggrieved by the paparazzi who are in her face. As her driver pulls away, a despondent Madonna is cheered by the site of some street performers displaying contortionist moves even the limber Material Girl could only dream of. She grabs one and he joins her soon-to-grow posse of young, gorgeous men who are soon crowding her car, much to the driver’s dismay.
[More after the jump...]
Shot in Italy, the whole video has a Fellini-esque, late '50s, early ‘60s feel in many ways: including picking up the prostitutes (which recalls Fellini’s 1957 classic “Nights in Cambria.”) and Madonna's styling. The entire clip consists of Madonna riding around in the car, the top now down, picking up her new entourage, as they vogue in the back and front seats, sometime trailed by yearning fans and paparazzi, other times not. Much of the background scenery, which seems intentionally cheesy and obviously green screen, seems straight out the '60s as well in many cases.
In the canon of Madonna videos, it’s certainly not among her best, but, in some ways, the throwback to a simpler time and the carefree theme perfectly match the breezy pop song, one of the most accessible, catchier songs on “MDNA.” It’s a fun ride, even if it’s to destination nowhere.
We have a feeling if we understood the voice over in Italian at the end, we may glean some deeper meaning, so if anyone speaks Italian, please add a translation below.
What do you think of the "Turn Up The Radio" video?
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013