Watch: Adam Lambert's new video for 'Never Close Our Eyes'
Former 'American Idol' star takes a quantum creative leap
- Critic's Rating A-
- Readers' Rating A-
Adam Lambert’s video for “Never Close Our Eyes” takes place somewhere in a dystopian future where all those beautiful multi-ethnic models from the old Benetton commercials have been rounded up and imprisoned. Their freedom may be taken away, as has their possession of any clothes not in the beige/gray family, but, thank God, they still have access to hair dye, as evidenced by Lambert’s fierce highlights.
Food has been replaced with pill pellets and the days seem to pass in drudgery, scrubbing the floor in a series of coordinated, ballet-like moves, and checking into some plexiglass box that scans our eyes, while Big Brother keeps constant surveillance.
[More after the jump...]
However, Lambert our hero has developed some secret powers that allow a blue swirl that looks like airborne laundry detergent to fly from his fingertips. As the music thumps, he, his fellow automatons, and his magical blue cloud decide to make a run for it.
They are initially thwarted in their jailbreak by guards who spew white smoke at them, which, please, is no match for Lambert’s beautiful blue cloud which easily beats back the white smoke. Not only that, it has the transformative power to put Lambert and his pretty posse in very bright, primary color-jackets with pushed-up sleeves, like the ‘80s! They are so excited, they temporarily forget to escape and, instead, break out into a dance number. Lambert isn’t known as a dancer, so he’s shown mainly from the waist up, very servicably keeping up.
With the arrival of Lambert’s new album, “Trespassing” at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 last week and this extremely high concept album it’s clear that the "American Idol" season eight runner up wants to be seen in the ranks of the Lady Gagas, Beyonces and Rihannas of this world (there’s not really a male analog of Lambert right now, is there?) And this video shows that he can more than hold his own in their company.
What do you think?
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @HitfixMelinda
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"
- Babble.com: 8 Parenting Lessons To Learn From 'Arrested Development' WATCH: New 'Arrested' Clip You Probably Haven't Seen What Is Up With Rob Lowe's Face? The Actor On His Crazy 'Candelabra' Role
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
What is Paris Hilton doing on the list?Sunday, May 26, 2013
Singer takes to Facebook to respondSaturday, May 25, 2013
Who else debuts in the top 10?Saturday, May 25, 2013
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013