Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' set to Pearl Jam's music in New York production
Does 'Jeremy' make an appearance?
If one had to come up with a soundtrack for “Hamlet,” one could certainly do worse than the music of Pearl Jam. Both the play and the Seattle band’s music have a good measure of material about tortured souls and miscreants.
Well, someone thought of that. Here, a New York City art space, has mounted a production of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” set in the ‘90s with Pearl Jam’s music as the backdrop. The songs are performed live by a cover band. In what must be wonderful or horrible, “Hamlet: A King of Infinite Space” takes Hamlet and turns him into a college boy who returns home to the Lower East Side to discover that his uncle had married his mother and wants to turn their apartment building, The Elsinore (get it?), into modern condos.
If you want to see it, move quickly: The production only runs through July 21. No word from the members of Pearl Jam on how they feel about this appropriation of their music. Since the play isn't using the original master recordings, as long as Here pays royalties to the appropriate performance rights society, they probably don't need Pearl Jam's permission. We scanned online for some reviews from opening night, but, alas, could find none.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
The Purple One delivers goodies for the Memorial Day WeekendFriday, May 24, 2013
Singer also performs 'Beautiful' with MiguelFriday, May 24, 2013
Go behind the scenes of the new magical Las Vegas extravaganzaThursday, May 23, 2013
Quartet hopes to put out new set 'in the next year'Wednesday, May 22, 2013