Music Power Rankings: Carly Rae Jepsen definitely tops the list
Madonna, Usher, and Adam Levine also make this week's tally
1. Carly Rae Jepsen: “Call Me Maybe” finally goes to No. 1 on the Hot 100 after selling more than 3.3. million downloads.. Definitely the song of the summer.
2. Usher: His new album, “Looking 4 Myself” will find its way to No. 1 next week and is receiving some of the best reviews of his career. An artist starts what looks to be a brilliant new chapter.
3. Madonna: It may not have been elegant or classy, but she certainly got our attention not once, but twice, this week by flashing her nip and flashing her G-string in concert. Hey Madge, leave the antics to those who don’t have talent and a gazillion Top 40 hits to draw upon.
4. Adam Levine: First “American Horror Story” and now “Can A Song Save Your Life.” The Maroon 5 frontman/”The Voice” judge lands his first leading role in a motion picture, starring alongside Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo. Someone wants more than just Grammy Awards.
5. John Janick: The mastermind behind the Fueled By Ramen label (home to fun., Cobra Starship, Gym Class Heroes, Paramore and more) jumps from WMG to Interscope president/COO in one of the biggest label coups in recent years.
6. Rebecca Ferguson: The “X Factor U.K.” runner up is on Simon Cowell’s label and she’s managed by the same folks who handle One Direction. Plus she can really sing. Go ahead and get onboard now.
7. EMI/UMG merger: After it seemed like a relatively sure bet, all bets are off as the European Commission steps up its scrutiny and Senate Judiciary Antitrust hearings announced their dockets of witnesses for June 21’s hearings.
8. Long Live Rock: After a relatively fallow period, rock is surging with new releases from Neil Young, Linkin Park, and the Offspring this month. Coming soon: Muse, Green Day, No Doubt, Aerosmith and many more.
9. The Beach Boys: As incredulous as it sounds, the boys of summer score their best chart debut ever in their 50 year career as “That’s Why God Made the Radio” bows at No. 3. Surf’s Up, boys.
10. Frances W. Preston: Though not known widely outside the music industry, the former BMI head, who died this week at 83, was a pioneer in every sense of the word: the first female corporate executive in Tennessee was a songwriter’s best friend. Goodbye to one of the last trailblazers.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013