Music Power Rankings: Adam Lambert holds off Britney Spears and Lady Gaga
'American Idol's' Phillip Phillips and Justin Timberlake make this week's tally
1. Adam Lambert: The “American Idol” scores his first No. 1 album, and also becomes the first openly gay male to achieve the feat. Who thought it would be easier to land at No. 1 than to get married legally in most states?
2. Britney Spears: She briefly walks off the set during the first taping. That’s what $15 million gets you, Simon Cowell, and it’s exactly what you wanted. He’s already gotten more than $15 million worth of free publicity due to Britney before the show even airs. Nicely played, sir.
3. Phillip Phillips: A new “American Idol” is crowned. The good news is his first single, “Home” goes straight to No. 1 on iTunes. The bad news is his coronation is in front of “Idol’s” lowest-rated finale ever.
4. Lady Gaga: Momma Monster will not back down. After protests lead officials in Jakarta to cancel her show, her manager says she will not alter her show to appease religious groups. Maybe she should rename the tour “Born Again This Way.”
5. Lionel Richie: His little album that could, “Tuskegee,” continue to defy the odds and sell and sell its way right into the No. 2 spot for the top sellers of 2012. The No. 1 seller so far, of course, is Adele’s “21.”
6. Eminem: Slim Shady is headed back into the studio to start work on his eighth studio album, we think. He tells New York’s Hot 97: “I’m kinda getting into my next record a little bit.” We bet it drops by the end of the year.
7. Justin Timberlake: We may never get a new studio album, but he signs on to score his first movie, “The Devil in the Deep Blue Sea.” Doesn't is just cry out for a “SexyBack” remix?
8. Robin Gibb: Another amazing music voice is silenced. In 2012 alone: Whitney, Donna, Adam, Robin, Levon, Davy... can we make it stop, please?
9. Donna Summer: Speaking of sad deaths, as usual, following her passing, the disco queen sees a huge spike in sales: up 3,277%.
10. Bobby Womack: The soul legend is declared cancer free. In a month where cancer seems to be winning by claiming Adam Yauch, Donna Summer and Robin Gibb, it’s nice to see at least one victory in the right column. Plus, his first album in 13 years comes out June 12. More good news.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013