Justin Bieber's good, bad and ugly week: David Letterman, 'Believe' and One Direction
The Biebs and Mark Wahlberg have a basketball movie planned?
It’s been a mixed week for Justin Bieber. To be sure, the scales tipped to the positive, given that his new album “Believe” is guaranteed to come in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart next week (and if his tweets are to be believed, in 34 countries overall), but he got kicked around a little bit on television.
His two-part NBC special, “Justin Bieber: All Around the World,” to put it politely, tanked in the ratings. That’s not all that surprising given that Bieber’s tween audience prefers to get its Bieber fixes online via his endless Tweets and video updates.
[More after the jump...]
Then David Letterman turned on Bieber, accosting him for getting a new tattoo (and if it was really that new, Letterman’s grabbing his arm had to hurt like hell) and making fun of Bieber for referring to the Sistine Chapel as the Sixteenth Chapel. Hey, while the rest of the kids his age are in school learning such valuable information, Bieber was out making millions. To be sure, Bieber may want to bone up on some of the world’s most famous works of art, but Letterman seemed a a bit of a bully to us.
Bieber took the high road and didn’t tweet about Letterman, but he had only kind words for Letterman’s fellow late-night host, Jimmy Fallon, who somewhat breathlessly hosted a YouTube Q&A live chat with the teen star. The 35-minute session included revisiting how Bieber got his start by uploading videos of himself starting in 2007, leading manager Scooter Braun to find him. The rest is history.
Bieber revealed that he and Mark Wahlberg, with whom he plays hoops, are thinking about making a film together. "We are actually doing a movie, hopefully, a basketball movie," he told Fallon.
In a dream scenario for girls aged 12-14 the world over, Bieber told British paper The Daily Mirror that he and the guys in One Direction were contemplating working together for the boy band’s next album: "We were talking about me collaborating with them on a song on their next album. It's gonna be great,” he said, noting that he and the quintet had spent some time hanging by Bieber’s pool. Then Braun further fueled the fire, according to The Huffington Post, tweeting that a duet was “very possible.” The move is interesting given that Braun manages competing boy band The Wanted.
Read our review of "Believe" here.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013