John Mayer lands his third No. 1 on 'American Idol'-laden Billboard 200
The album chart is loaded with 'American Idol' titles
John Mayer scores his third No. 1 album this week as “Born and Raised” bows at the top of the Billboard 200.
The set opens with 219,000 units sold. His 2003 chart topper, “Heavier Things,” opened with 317,000 copies, while his last studio album, 2009’s “Battle Studies,” started its chart run with 289,000.
The number is all the more impressive given that Mayer’s ongoing throat issues have left him unable to promote the album other than a few scattered talk show appearances, where he sat in with the house bands, but did not sing.
Three other new title enter the top 10: Slash’s “Apocalyptic Love” bows at No. 4’ MercyMe’s “The Hurt & The Healer” at No. 7 and Sara Bareilles’ EP, “Once Upon Another Time” at No. 8.
Last week’s No. 2 and 3 titles, Adele’s “21” and Carrie Underwood’s “Blown Away,” hold their ground this week.
Elsewhere in the Top 10, One Direction’s “Up All Night” jumps No. 10-5 (on the strength of the band’s U.S. tour starting), while Lionel Richie’s “Tuskegee,” the year’s best selling album after “21,” climbs No. 9-6.
“Tuskegee” trades places with “Now That’s What I Call Music 42,” which tumbles three spots to No. 9, while “Up All Night” and Norah Jones’ “Little Broken Hearts’ flip spaces, as her album slides from No. 5-10.
Last week’s chart topper, Adam Lambert’s “Trespassing,” plummets out of the Top 10 to No. 12. In other “American Idol” contestant activity, newly coronated Season 11 winner Phillip Phillips enters the chart at No. 11 with “Journey to the Finale.” Season 10 finalist Haley Reinhart enters at No. 17 with “Listen Up!,” while Season 8 winner Kris Allen bows at No. 26 with “Thank Yo Camellia.” This year’s runner-up, Jessica Sanchez, comes in at No. 126 wiht her “Journey To the Finale” album.
Overall sales were up 3% from last week, but down 22% from the same week of 2011.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013
Plus, watch Dave Grohl perform 'Bitch' with The Rolling StonesMonday, May 20, 2013
Guests on third country set include Lady Antebellum and Sheryl CrowMonday, May 20, 2013