Austin City Limits looks to expand to two weekends and other festival news
Set your 2013 for Lollapalooza and Metallica's Orion festival
It looks like the Austin City Limits festival could follow Coachella’s lead and expand into two weekends as early as next year.
According to a report in the Austin American Statesman, ACL producer C3 is talking to the city of Austin about the expansion and is holding dates — Oct. 4-6 and Oct. 11-13— for the 2013 edition that allow for the expansion. There’s report does not address whether ACL would attempt to have the same acts for both weekend, as Coachella did this year in its first year over two weekends, or will have different artists, in the style of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.
This year’s ACL festival will be held at Zilker Park Oct. 12-14 and includes headliners Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jack White and The Black Keys among its 130 acts.
C3, which produces Lollapalooza with Perry Farrell and William Morris Endeavor, has also announced the dates for the 2013 edition of Lollapalooza--before the 2012 festival even takes off. Lollapalooza 2013 will take place Aug. 2-4 at Chicago’s Grant Park.
As you know, Coachella has already announced it 2013 dates: April 12-14 and April 19-21.
It’s all about C3 today because it looks like the other major festival the company produces, Metallica’s Orion Festival, will return for a second year next year after its inaugural run in June. In a conference call for Outside Lands, which Metallica is headlining, drummer Lars Ulrich said that plans are already starting for Orion 2013. “We had a great experience in New Jersey and as we look to 2013, we’re definitely looking to keep it in New Jersey or to keep it on the East Coast,” according to Spin.
I talked to Ulrich about Orion right before the event took place for an article about the proliferation of artist-run festivals. Read the piece here.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
Will their collaboration yield Smith's first release in 8 years?Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Tickets go on sale on FridayTuesday, May 21, 2013
She is woman, hear her roarTuesday, May 21, 2013
Keyboardist died today of cancerMonday, May 20, 2013