Adele and Gotye lead 2012 mid-year sales stats
Are album sales up or down over last year?
One-named acts rule 2012 so far: Half-way through the year, Adele and Gotye have bragging rights to the top-selling album and single so far.
Adele’s “21” has some more than 1 million copies this year, while Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used To Know,” which topped the Billboard Hot 100 for several weeks, is the top selling single, moving 5.5 million downloads.
[More after the jump...]
The top selling album released in 2012 belongs to Lionel Richie. His “Tuskegee,” a collection of remakes of his hits with country artists, has sold 912,000, according to Billboard. At the mid-way point, 11 albums have moved more than 500,000 units this year. That is a substantial drop from the 16 that achieved that mark this time a year ago.
Rounding out the top five album sellers in 2012 so far followed “21” and “Tuskegee” are One Direction’s “Up All Night” (899,000), Whitney Houston’s “Whitney: The Greatest Hits” (818,000) and “Now That’s What I Call Music 41” (714,000).
In addition to “Somebody That I Used To Know,” other top single sellers include fun.’s “We Are Young” featuring Janelle Monae (5.05 million) and Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” (4.06 million).
Overall, as the number of albums surpassing the 500,000 mark indicates, album sales are down 3.2% year-to-date, according to Nielsen Soundscan. That bad news comes after last year saw album sales increase 1.4% —the first mid-year increase since 2004. While album sales are down, digital track sales are up 6% over this time last year.
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013