Inside Music with Melinda Newman
Plus your daily dose of Bah! Humbug! from Diamond Rugs and Sunny Sweeney
Admit it. You wanted a Santa Claus who knows how to pop and lock for Christmas, didn’t you? Well, look no further, because everyone’s favorite holiday elf, Justin Bieber, has just delivered one to your internet stocking. In his new video for “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town,” the toys, Santa’s helpers, and Kris Kringle himself are all breaking into head spins.
The only one who looks like he isn’t having a good time is Mr. Under the Mistletoe himself. In his 8,000th holiday video this week, Bieber seems very concerned and intense about Santa Claus’s arrival or maybe the steampunk glove he’s wearing is just a little too tight.
The live action video, embedded below, is the second from Bieber for “Santa Claus is Coming To Town”; the first was an animated clip to accompany “Arthur Christmas.” Arthur makes a few very unobtrusive drop in for this video, but otherwise, knows to stay the hell out of the kitchen. Given that this arrangement follows the Jacksons’ version, there is a very sweet little homage to the group. See if you can figure it out.
[More after the jump...]
Do you want to hear her sing?
Ke$ha is back and she wants to prove that she’s more than the girl who will vomit in your closet from drinking too much Jack and leave you to clean it up...as if that weren't enough.
On “Only Wanna Dance With You,” which has leaked all over the internet today, K-Dollar Sign-Ha sings the first portion of the bouncy, ‘80s sounding track for a good two minutes until she reverts to form and goes into a spoken bridge about “kicking it all night/hard-core making it until it gets light.” Listen to it here (courtesy of Perez Hilton).
Plus, listen to her new song, 'Masterpiece'
As had been long rumored, Madonna is indeed performing at Super Bowl XLVI's half-time show Feb. 5 in Indianapolis. Both the NFL and superstar confirmed the Material Girl’s appearance Sunday night.
What do we know? We know that she is collaborating with a team from Cirque du Soleil, so we can expect some wildly inventive and weird acrobatics to keep everyone entertained. She’s also partnering with Moment Factory, a company that produces multimedia events in strange spaces, whether it be outdoors or between buildings.
We've got Tim and Tricky too
1) Michael Buble: Its only a few days into December, but he’s already looking like the winner of the Holiday sales derby. “Christmas” tops the Billboard 200 by the slimmest margin over Nickelback and it looks like it is there to stay until after Santa returns to the North Pole. Susan Boyle has just scratched him off her Christmas present list.
2) Skrillex: People are still saying “Who?” But at least now it’s following by “Who is that dude who got five Grammy nominations?” #thatsmrskrillextoyou
3) Bon Iver: Justin Vernon-led outfit surprisingly grabs song, record and best new artist nominations from the Grammys. I still have no idea what “Holocene” means.
4) Kanye West: He tops all Grammy nominees with seven nods, though we still believe he was robbed when it comes to no album of the year nomination and we’re pretty sure he does too.
5) Britney Spears: She turned 30 Dec. 2. Given that there were some plenty dark days there over the last few years where reaching that milestone was in no way guaranteed, we tip our hat to the pop princess.
6) Nicki Minaj: As if she weren’t plastic enough, the “Super Bass” artist gets her own Barbie Doll from Mattel. Of course, she refers to her fans as her Barbz and/or Barbies, but have the fine folks at Mattel actually listened her lyrics? They’re enough to make Ken blush. Then again, it’s all for charity, so no complaints here.
7) Tim McGraw: A judge rules in the country superstar’s effort to finally free himself from his contract with Curb Records. Curb’s response? They immediately issue a new single from McGraw....How soon before we see an eighth compilation of McGraw’s music from the label?
8) Tricky Stewart: Rumor has it that Epic Records is getting ready to name the uber-producer head of A&R. Will that take him off the market for any non-Epic act like Dr. Luke’s deal with Sony.
9) Elvis Costello: We don’t actually agree with his recommending that fans “steal” his forthcoming boxed set, but we love the fact that he’s steering them toward buying the new Louis Armstrong box set. Satchmo’s heirs say thanks.
10) Pauly D: The “Jersey Shore” dude signs a deal with 50 Cent’s G-Note and has toured with Britney Spears. There may be a luckier SOB on the face of the earth, but I don’t know who it is...
How do the Grammy nominations affect sales?
Michael Buble is having a great Christmas. After topping the Billboard 200 this week with the slimmest of margins over Nickelback with his holiday album, “Christmas,” it looks like the crooner is on top to stay through the holidays.
Buble is on track to sell around 275,000 copies of his holiday sparkler next week, giving him a 2-to-1 lead over his next competitor, Adele’s “21,” which likely soars five spots back to No. 2 following her six Grammy nominations.
We all have our lives that others don't see
Taylor Swift unveiled her latest video for “Ours,” and it’s a sweet look at Swift as an office worker, stuck in a cubicle like the rest of us working stiffs. She’s misunderstood, the copier is broken, she has to eat lunch alone, but she’s got a secret her co-workers will never understand: She has a hot, hot boyfriend, played in the video by Zach Gilford, QB1 from “Friday Night Lights!!!!” Gilford, by the way, just got engaged in real life, so as adorable a couple as he and Swift make in the video, which is really adorable, he’s taken. Awwww... Swift wrote the treatment for the video, which is directed by Declan Whitebloom, who helmed “Mine.”
[More after the jump...]
HitFix commemorates Brit-Brit's 30th birthday
We’ve loved her since she was not a girl, but not yet a woman, so it’s shocking to think that Britney Spears turns 30 today. In honor of Brit Brit reaching this major milestone (only 20 more years before she’s AARP eligible!), we pick the 5 BEST and 5 WORST videos by the pop icon. Reviewing several dozen clips, it’s clear that Spears primarily operates in two modes: looking straight into the camera with a “F*** me”stare or looking straight into the camera with a “I need you to take care of me” stare and there’s not even one shade of difference between the two. Oh, and she flips her blonde hair around in every video. With.Out.Fail.
“....Baby One More Time”: It’s the video that started it all and began a run on naughty school girl outfits. It still makes us cringe, but we remember the A&R exec who worked with Spears talking about how the video should make men want to “defile” her. Success... Watch it below.
Womanizer: At a time when Spears was trying to prove that she could come back from some truly terrible times, personally and professionally, this clip shows that she was still hotter than hot--literally -- as she poses coyily nude in a sauna, and through a variety of different scenarios as she tries to teach a bad boy a few good lessons. She leaves everyone a little hot and bothered by the end. I got your crazy.
[More after the jump...]
Video for 'Ours' debuts today on e!
So which famous boys should start quaking in their boots now? Taylor Swift’s “Speak Now” is still thriving at radio and retail, but the country superstar, whose song lyrics take direct aim at the men who have wronged her, is already looking ahead to her fourth studio album.
Swift, who received three Grammy nominations on Wednesday, tells Billboard.com that she has already written 25 songs for possible inclusion in the new set, which should be ready by next Christmas. That puts her far ahead of where she was a year out from “Speak Now’s release.”
Tommy Lee, Vince Neil and the boys will take over the Hard Rock Casino
Motley Crue is the latest act to take up a residency in Las Vegas. The “Girls, Girls, Girls” band will play 12 shows at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino's The Joint between Feb. 3 and Feb. 19.
“The show we are putting together right now is something that we have never done in our lives,” lead singer Vince Neil said during a teleconference on Nov. 30. “Since it’s a stationary show, and doesn’t have to move around, we can do all kinds of stuff that we’ve only really dreamed about.” He added that “this show that we’re putting together isn’t a traditional Vegas show-you’re not going to go sit in a seat and then stare at the band and wait for the band to come on. You know, this is an interactive show we’re putting on which is it’s going to encompass the whole venue.”
Is it too soon to start a rumor about a secret show in Austin?
Bruce Springsteen will be the keynote speaker at 2012’s South By Southwest Music and Media Conference. The Boss follows in the footsteps of such acts as the late Johnny Cash, Robert Plant, Pete Townshend and Neil Young. He will speak March 15 at the Austin event.
Next year is already shaping up to be a big one for Springsteen and The E Street Band. Two weeks ago, he announced that a new album and tour will occur, and since then, we’ve gotten the European dates (see below) and now this. Rumors are that there may be some U.S. dates before the European tour starts in May. Plus, you just know that there’s going to be some awesome secret show in Austin.