Watch: Vanessa Williams and Terry O'Quinn talk being evil on '666 Park Avenue'
The stars promise a tragic backstory will be explored soon
As the sleek, mysterious and most definitely sinister Gavin and Olivia Doran on "666 Park Avenue," Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams are so bad they're good. Calmly playing tenants Henry and Jane (Dave Annable and Rachael Taylor) like pawns in their own personal chess game, the Dorans turn manipulation into an art form. The pair took a break from filming at the show's Brooklyn soundstage to talk about the joys of playing bad, what they have planned for Henry and a tragic storyline coming up soon.
Is it wrong that I'm rooting for you guys?
Terry O'Quinn: Good for you. You know, we've been sitting here for a while and you're the first person who said that.
Vanessa Williams: Yeah, root for us!
Considering the digs, I'd probably want to move into 999 Park Avenue [the real address on the show].
O'Quinn: We like you. You would be safe.
I'm looking forward to seeing more backstory about the Dorans, how they met, for example -- or am I assuming too much to think you two met like a normal, human couple?
O'Quinn: I don't think you can assume too much. There will probably be a lot of other assumptions as well. They're all good, because the audience is supposed to participate. But I agree with you and I'm glad you want to see more about the Durans, because I do, too. I think that's a good interest that we've generated. I hope other people feel the same way.
Williams: We do show coming up the tragedy of them losing their daughter at 18 and the stress that puts on their marriage and their relationship and how they dealt with it and the comfort that she needs from her husband. And the vulnerability that they have that is dramatic.
Is it more fun to play bad?
Williams: It's more fun.
O'Quinn: It all depends on how it's written. A good writer writes good characters. Generally if I had to choose one or the other, generally the more interesting roles that I've played have been antagonists because they tend to move the story. They're the ones who have the secrets and move the story along while the protagonists tend to move the story along. I think.
How important is it for you to shoot in New York? Does it make it easier to tap into a certain mindset?
Williams: We're shooting episode 8 right now, so our film stages are in Brooklyn and then we shoot out and about, east, west, all over the city. Then, Westchester as well.
O'Quinn: It really is. If you try to shoot this, take away the scenery. If you tried to shoot this somewhere that's generally a laid back place, you'd just be going at the wrong speed. There's something about getting up in this town, walking out the door, hitting the street, and you've got to get moving, you've got to get your engine revving. If I was on the North shore of Oahu, trying to shoot this, Gavin Doran would be wearing a straw hat and flip flops. He wouldn't be too bad, just kind of bad.
The Dorans had Henry and Jane sign a contract when they moved in. Couldn't you guys pull the rug out from under them at any moment?
Yeah, I suppose. We could cancel them at any moment. But they want to exploit Henry. Henry's working his way up into city government. He's got that pesky Jane with him, and that could be a problem, but if he becomes mayor? I'm in like Flynn. I'm a real estate developer, and if I'm friends with the mayor, things could go very well for me.
Watch a clip from this Sunday's show below
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 days ago
13 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
In the season ender, Deacon and Rayna face a nightmareThursday, May 23, 2013
The Poison singer gushes over the open road and family bondingWednesday, May 22, 2013
The Guam resident may be too large to have weight loss surgeryWednesday, May 22, 2013
'The Haunting Of...' comes back for season two, tooWednesday, May 22, 2013