Watch: Henry Winkler talks 'Here Comes the Boom' and his Fonz legacy
The nicest guy in Hollywood shrugs off the title, talks MMA
Henry Winkler, who plays dedicated music teacher Marty Streb in the Kevin James comedy "Here Comes the Boom," looks pretty convincing as he conducts a high school orchestra. It turns out, he's had some practice. "Five years ago I got a call, and I was asked to conduct the Boston Pops in Cape Cod on the 4th of July. I didn't realize a piece can be 15, 20 minutes long, and how in shape you have to be. 'Cause you keep thinking okay, now, it's going... and we're still going...
His work with the kids in "Boom" might have been a little more rewarding. "I got to conduct these kids. They're a real orchestra from a high school outside of Boston. Some of them still tweet me, it's so lovely, I can't wait for the movie. But we had to become instantly bonded. I had to be their teacher, instantaneously. I think they were just great."
Winkler, who's been busy behind the camera and in front of it since the '70s, is often called one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. Still, he shrugs off the title. "I'm not sure what that means. I'm not kidding. There are so many lovely people that I've met... It's very nice that people think that; I'm just not sure what this means."
Though "Here Comes the Boom" is focused on MMA fighting, Winkler says he had never had much of an interest in the sport -- at least, not until he shot the film. "It was a channel I went by; now, I watch. I watch Bas Rutten on his show, because every guy that fought Kevin is a real fighter. They came in and you needed a stepladder to shake their hand... They're zen gentlemen when you meet them."
Winkler is a bit of a zen gentleman himself, at least when it comes to putting together his schedule, which requires juggling acting, writing popular children's books and producing. "I don't make a decision. Everything just seems to fall into place. This [movie] opens on October 12th, on November 14th I open on Broadway in a brand new comedy. I'm living, right now, be very careful what you wish for."
And if you call him the Fonz? He won't be insulted. "I don't know if I would be in this movie if I was not the Fonz first. I think that it's related. I think there's a connection. I'm very, very appreciative that the Fonz is in my life." As the Fonz would say, ayyy.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
13 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio are rumored to be stepping upMonday, May 20, 2013
Dr. Leekie proves he's not one to be tangled withSunday, May 19, 2013
It's been a busy week, so get all your reality news here, nowSaturday, May 18, 2013
The magician just might beat the 'pretend game about pretend business'Friday, May 17, 2013