Reality TV Top 10 of 2012: The year things got lowbrow and I liked it
Polygamists, conspiracists and rednecks all make the cut this year
This year, like so many years before it, was overflowing with reality TV. But, amidst the usual screaming Housewives and singing competitions, a new niche really took hold in a substantive way. Yes, 2012 was the year of redneck reality, and just as you might expect, it's something you either love or hate. I'll admit that I veer into the love end of the spectrum pretty often (and a few of these shows even made my top ten). Some of these shows do tend toward exploitation, but more often they capture something sorely lacking in so-called reality TV these days; people who don't appear to be acting. It turns out a little reality in our reality TV can be compelling. Go figure.
The "Honey Boo Boo-ization" of reality TV wasn't the only trend going, of course. I found, as I did last year, some of the most captivatingly weird shows can be found in the upper reaches of the dial, and these were the ones that were almost always impossible not to watch. People who exist on the far spectrum of our society are compelling for countless reasons, but the good news is that shows seem to be leaning away from making fun and toward finding the common thread of humanity in outsiders.
Given the ratings for some unlikely hit shows, people are clearly responding (producers wouldn't have caught on otherwise), and I hope this signifies a movement away from the cruelty trend that's made so much of reality TV almost unwatchable. Really, if a show doesn't make me want to take a shower immediately afterward, I consider that a win.
There were many returning shows I wanted to include in this round-up (and many of my top 10 shows from last year, though I didn't repeat much from that list, are still worthy of inclusion), but I'm glad to have found a surplus of TV worth watching. Here's hoping there's even more good stuff for all of us in 2013.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
21 days ago
10 months ago
|Discuss Reality TV on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
The magician just might beat the 'pretend game about pretend business'Friday, May 17, 2013
The NatGeo show takes a raw, dark look at life off the gridFriday, May 17, 2013
Did you expect the cliffhanger?Thursday, May 16, 2013
What did you think of Damon's big moment?Thursday, May 16, 2013