Press Tour 2012: Nigel Lythgoe of 'SYTYCD' talks up 'A Chance to Dance'
Nigel and son promise this 'is a challenge show,' not a competition show
If "So You Think You Can Dance" isn't enough hoofing and pirouetting for you, you'll be happy to know that "SYTYCD" producer Nigel Lythgoe has another dance-oriented series for you. The 7-part series "A Chance to Dance," which premieres Friday, Aug. 17 (10 p.m. ET) follows two former ballet dancers Billy Trevitt and Michael Nunn as they travel across the country to put together a dance troupe in just four weeks.
Why four weeks? "Because the theater was booked," said Lythgoe, who said this isn't so much about eliminating dancers but putting Trevitt and Nunn to the test. "It isn't a competition show; it's a challenge show."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
"I'm in the editing room… and I see this entire pole dancing thing going on, and BIlly up the pole having taken his trousers off," said Lythgoe.
Levitt did have a good reason for losing the pants, however. "Otherwise, you slip right off," he shrugged.
Though Lythgoe could complain about all of the other dance-oriented programming on the air, he's not complaining. "Everyone wants to repeat a successful show," he said. "My big wish is that when 'So You Think You Can Dance' and 'Dancing with the Stars' [aren't] there anymore, that dancing will come in and replace it. [Dancing]'s only been eight years back," he said, adding that he'd like dance to become "a staple of the American diet."
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
25 days ago
10 months ago
|Discuss Reality TV on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
Zendaya knocks it out of the park, but another dancer makes judges cryMonday, May 20, 2013
Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio are rumored to be stepping upMonday, May 20, 2013
Dr. Leekie proves he's not one to be tangled withSunday, May 19, 2013
It's been a busy week, so get all your reality news here, nowSaturday, May 18, 2013