Is Kenya for real on ''The Real Housewives of Atlanta'?
If she's fabricating everything from her ex to a cancer scare, does it matter?
Last night, we were treated to yet another version of former Kenya Moore on "The Real Housewives of Atlanta." Having waited nervously for the results of three breast biopsies, the former Miss USA determined that, for the sake of her health, she's going to be Zen Kenya -- taking deep breaths instead of tearing into Porsha for her inability to make coffee, for example, and refusing to be pulled into the drama that always swirls around these women.
That lasts for less than a complete episode, as we eventually hear her her shriek that she wants to tear Phaedra's face off in traditional Kenya form. But really, what would this show be without a crazy Kenya? And that may have been exactly the question Kenya asked herself when it came time to audition for the show, at least if you believe the rampant rumors on the Internet. It's been said that Kenya faked her relationship with her boyfriend Walter Jackson (an accusation he made on an Atlanta radio station, which could make his inclusion in the ultimate series reunion tricky at best), her cancer testing, and most of her body (as Phaedra has suggested with her "Home Depot" smears, Kenya is accused of having butt implants as well as breast implants and colored contact lenses). Kenya is said to be a "professional gold digger" who has hooked up with professional basketball players, Mike Tyson and even Jay-Z.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
It isn't hard to surmise, if we believe all this (and it is a lot to believe), that the Kenya Moore we see on television is as much a creation as any of the characters she's played as an actress. And what a character! Yes, it was crazy of her to dress up like Phaedra at a charity event, but wasn't it memorable? Watching her twirl around Anguilla became a running joke for the other women and shorthand for crazy for everyone else.
As for me, I'd be almost a little relieved to think Krazy Kenya is pure fiction. It isn't hard to tell that the former Miss USA is plenty smart, and her behavior on the show (which Phaedra dismisses as "bipolar") is often self-destructive. Of course, I have to wonder what being the resident bad girl will get her -- unless (and this is likely) she "rehabs" the character more fully next season, a la Camille Grammer on "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills." While we love to hate some of the women on these shows, we also are happy to forgive. Just look at NeNe, who once personified weave-yanking lunacy and now plays the settled, almost maternal figure on the show just a few years later.
As we all know, reality television is rarely all that real. When a camera crew is waiting inside someone's house, we can be sure no one is dropping by unexpectedly. When women fight on any of the "Real Housewives" franchises, we can be pretty sure there's a producer goosing along the action on the sidelines. So the question is, do you think Kenya Moore is playing the role of a lifetime? And more importantly, do you care if she is?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
23 days ago
10 months ago
|Discuss Reality TV on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
Dr. Leekie proves he's not one to be tangled withSunday, May 19, 2013
It's been a busy week, so get all your reality news here, nowSaturday, May 18, 2013
The magician just might beat the 'pretend game about pretend business'Friday, May 17, 2013
The NatGeo show takes a raw, dark look at life off the gridFriday, May 17, 2013