Is another key character leaving 'Downton Abbey'?
The PBS show is also going to feature someone very different next season
So, fast on the heels of Sybil and Matthew's exit, another character is leaving the hallowed halls of "Downton Abbey." Of course, don't click through unless you're prepared for yes, a spoiler. So, remember, here's your SPOILER ALERT!
Siobhan Finneran, who plays the manipulative, crafty O'Brien, has confirmed to the Huffington Post U.K. she won't be back for season 4. "I'm not doing it any more," she said. "O'Brien is a thoroughly despicable human being -- that was great to play."
The good news? O'Brien, unlike Dan Stevens (Matthew) and Sybil (Jessica Brown Findlay) isn't likely to die, leaving the door open for her return (or at least a visit). Not that so many viewers will mind too much if she goes away permanently. "I've always carried around with me [the idea that] something has happened to her to make her be the nasty piece of work that she can be," she told HuffPost in Jan. 2012. "She's worked since she was probably 14 or 15 years old, and has basically sacrificed her entire life to somebody else, for the good of their life and their home -- it's no wonder that she would get frustrated or angry about things."
There are also other changes afoot on the show, however. According to The Sun, the British drama will get its first black character in the fourth season. The British news site said the show is searching for a young, handsome black actor to portray Jack Ross, a 1920s-era jazz musician who sings “brilliantly” and oozes “charm and charisma.”
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
6 days ago
15 days ago
|Discuss Scripted Dramas on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
We welcome our first guest and talk Ray Manzarek and moreFriday, May 24, 2013
Fox gives you a new workplace nightmare to worry aboutFriday, May 24, 2013
It's not quite 'Waiting for Guffman' but not exactly 'Idol,' eitherThursday, May 23, 2013
The final five episodes begin airing June 13Thursday, May 23, 2013