Elton John to tell Matt Lauer why he wants more kids on 'Today'
The singer says he was 'the luckiest person in the world' for avoiding AIDS
Next week 'Today' will make another play at recapturing morning show domination by airing an interview between Matt Lauer and Sir Elton John. The interview, which will promote John's memoir "Love Is the Cure: On Life, Loss and the End of AIDS," will air in two parts; Tuesday, July 17 and Wednesday, July 18. In the chat, prerecorded in England, John talks about his struggle with drugs, alcohol and bulimia and discusses coming out about his sexuality.
John talks to Lauer about his experience of the AIDS epidemic. "I wasted such a big part of my life, when this epidemic was beginning to happen in the early 1980s," John tells Lauer. "And I was a drug addict and self-absorbed. You know, I was having people die right, left, and center around me, friends. And yet, I didn't stop the life that I had, which is the terrible thing about addiction. It's that-- you know, it's that bad of a disease."
On the topic of his coming out, John says his homosexuality only impacted his career " a little bit." "In America, people burned my records for a second and radio stations didn't play me. It didn't have any effect like the Dixie Chicks had when they made the anti-Iraq statements and their career was ruined. So by me saying gay in the 1970s-- it didn't have a big effect on me whatsoever."
John also explains why, even as his friends were dying of AIDS, he didn't practice safe sex. "You know what? When you take a drug and you take a drink and you mix those two together, you think you're invincible," he says, adding that he "came out of this HIV negative... I was the luckiest person in the world."
On a lighter note, John says he'd "love to have more children" in addition to his son, Zachery. "And also... being the child of a famous person is hard. And I would like him to have-- you know, when he's four and he starts going to preschool kids will say, "You don't have a mummy." And we know that. We talked about this before we had Zachery. And we're gonna say, "Well, listen, there's gonna be consequences involved in having a child when you're two gay parents." And I want him to have a brother or a sister to go to school with him. And so that he can have someone to play with...It's going to be heartbreaking for him to grow up and realize he hasn't got a mummy. But he's so happy. I've never seen a more contented child. And you have never seen two more contented people as David and I.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
28 days ago
10 months ago
|Discuss Reality TV on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
Fox gives you a new workplace nightmare to worry aboutFriday, May 24, 2013
It's not quite 'Waiting for Guffman' but not exactly 'Idol,' eitherThursday, May 23, 2013
The final five episodes begin airing June 13Thursday, May 23, 2013
The ballet docuseries returns on July 22Thursday, May 23, 2013