Wong Kar-Wai's 'The Grandmasters' picked up by Weinstein Company
Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi star in 1930s-set Ip Man biopic
Wong Kar-Wai's highly-anticipated "The Grandmasters" is finally heading to the U.S.
The Weinstein Company has acquired the North American rights to the delayed martial arts epic "The Grandmaster" from Annapurna.
TWC also picked up the rights to Australia, New Zealand, and the UK from Wild Bunch, according to Deadline.
The martial arts film, which stars Wong regular Tony Leung ("In the Mood For Love," "2046") and Zhang Ziyi ("2046," Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"), is making its world premiere this week at the Berlin Film Festival.
Set against the backdrop of the Japanese invasion of China in the 1930s, the visually striking film is a biopic of martial arts master Ip Man (Leung) who famously trained Bruce Lee. Song Hye-kyo, Chang Chen and a host of various martial arts experts also appear in the film.
The supposed feud between TWC's head honcho Harvey Weinstein and Annapurna Pictures top dog Megan Ellison about the disappointing box office of "The Master" appears to be over.
"The Grandmasters" is already open in China, where it has quickly grossed over $50 million, a box office record for Wong's films.
No date has yet been set for its U.S. release.
Watch the film's trailer here.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal