Why Mumford and Sons didn't expect to win the album of the year Grammy
How it feels to have fans like Eddie Vedder and Johnny Depp
LOS ANGELES - By the time the presentation for album of the year came around at the end of the Grammy Awards, Mumford & Sons had long given up any notion that they might win, despite the fact that most critics had predicted “Babel” would take home the prize.
“I can tell you definitely, we were in the Pre-tel stuff. We sat there. We had six nominations, we were like 'Oh, cool, we’ve got six nominations. And one after another was like, ‘And the Black Keys, the Black Keys. The Black Keys’,” recounted Marcus Mumford backstage with a cup of his favorite adult beverage in his hand.“And so I think we just sort of resigned ourselves to, like last year was Adele’s year, it was the Black Keys’ year and good on ‘em, they’re fu**king awesome. We came here, we honestly were just happy to be nominated. We really didn’t care about winning. I'm not just bullshitting you.”
But now that the band has won, “it’s fucking awesome,” exclaimed keyboardist BenLovett. The band members remain based in London, but that’s only a technicality given how much time the band spends away from home. “We’re on tour most of the time, so it doesn’t matter where we live,” Mumford said.
In short time, Mumford & Sons have become a favorite among such celebrities and fellow musicians as Eddie Vedder, Johnny Depp and Dave Grohl. “It’s amazing when your heroes have even heard of you. It’s weird. It’s fu**ing weird,” says banjo player. Winston Marshall.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
'The Great Gatsby' and Beyonce's bey-bey also make the listSunday, May 19, 2013
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013